Friday, March 6, 2009

I've Been Blacklisted!

In a good way.
I've been blacklisted, it seems, by university interest groups (Greenpeace, Green war, Green Switzerland, etc.) Now, as some may recall, about a year ago I was stopped one too many times by an otherwise very polite member of Greenpeace on my way to class. It had been the third occurrence in a week, and by this time they'd given me so many brochures that I began to wonder if they made them out of reconstituted tofu, or if they were just a bunch of hypocrites. Neither would surprise me. Either way, I was having a particularly annoying day for whatever reason, and I plainly told them that the next time they bothered me I was going to burn down a tree. Not because I wanted to, but because they made me.
They haven't spoken to me since.
Now, part of this phenomenon is due to the fact that most of my class travel time since then has been in the cold winter when there are no petitions to sign because as we know, it's only important to fight for what you believe in when it's a balmy 60-80 degrees. But recently I've noticed that as I approach the diner for a delightfully overpriced snack, the people standing outside with petitions to sign avoid me like Outback Steakhouse. It even seems like they look away in fear. This could be because my goatee has been labeled "slightly nefarious in the correct lighting," but I doubt it.
Conclusion: I finally beat them.
So the next time someone stops you to sign a petition which, however important the cause may be, is a severe hindrance to your schedule, remember that they're as flimsy as their diets.

No comments: